I am not a morning person. It takes everything in me to wake up with my alarm, ignoring the 2 to 3 times I hit the snooze button. Having a tasty breakfast waiting for me helps a bit. My Good Morning Peach Cake is a version of coffee cake that I developed. When I have peaches that become too ripe, this is my go to recipe. I hope it helps you start your morning off well too!
RECIPE: Good Morning Peach Cake
Makes 2 Cakes
2 Round Cake Pans
Oven heated to 350 degrees
1 Stick Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Flour
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
2 teaspoons Allspice
3 1/2 Cups Peaches
1 Cup White Sugar
1 Cup Greek Yogurt
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
4 Cups White Lily Flour
Grease for pans
1) Pit peaches and toss them into a blender. Puree until you have 3 1/2 cups of liquid peaches.
2) Pour peaches into the pan with white sugar and yogurt, stirring until its all dissolved and warm.
3) In Kitchen aid mixer, beat 3 eggs. Add vanilla extract, salt, baking soda, and white lily until you have a crumbly mess.
4) Pour peach mixture into the mixer. Beat until a smooth batter.
5) In a bowl, mix with a pastry blender the butter, spices, sugar, and flour until a crumbly mix.
6) In greased cake pans, layer half the batter, sprinkle with topping, layer with the second half of the batter, and sprinkle with topping. You should have 1/3 of the topping still in the bowl reserved for later.
7) Take your spatula and gently mix the batter and topping using a loose Z pattern.
8) Bake in 350 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
9) Once removed from the oven, sprinkle the remaining topping over both cakes. It will meld into the cake from the residual heat.
10) Serve warm or room temperature. This cake all freezes well, which is great since it makes two.