There is a part of me that secretly wants the bananas we buy not to get eaten. Then I have a perfect excuse to bake banana bread or other banana themed baked goods. This banana bread is a new recipe I tried from King Arthur’s cookbook. It is slightly modified with extra vanilla and added nutmeg. This recipe is good fresh, and it also freezes well.
RECIPE: Whole Wheat Banana Bread
Makes 6 Small Loaves
6 Small Loaf Pans
Oven heated to 350 degrees
1 Stick Butter
3 Over Ripe Bananas
1 Cup White Sugar
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1) In a kitchen aid mixer, beat together butter and sugar until creamy.
2) Add bananas, eggs, and vanilla and beat until smooth.
3) Mix in whole wheat flour, baking soda, and salt until a nice batter is formed.
4) Grease mini loaf pans and fill about 1/2- 2/3 of the way full with batter.
5) Sprinkle each loaf pan with freshly grated nutmeg.
6) Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
7) Let fully cool before removing loaves from pans.
If you are going to freeze these loaves for future consumption, be sure to double wrap and then bag the bread to prevent freezer burn.
Pictured below is me enjoying a slice of banana bread on the couch. The couch is the best place to eat breakfast after all.