We have a container of sugar free Italian Sweet Creme Coffee Creamer in the fridge from when we had guests (I think its coffee mate brand). The issue is neither me nor my fiance use it in our drinks, and this almost full container has been staring at me every time I open the fridge for the past 2 months. Rather than trash the creamer, I decided to figure out a way to use it in a new creation.
My biggest issue was the coffee creamer was insanely sweet with a distinct flavor. I knew I had to bring in some equally strong flavors to balance it all out. The result, is a fabulous spice cake with apples, raisins, and walnuts. It surprised both of us with how good it tasted.
RECIPE: Spice Up My Life Cake
Makes 6 Servings
Kitchen Aid Mixer
Oven Heated to 350
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Molasses
1 Cup Sugar Free Italian Creme Coffee Creamer
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 Tablespoon All Spice
3 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Walnuts
1/2 Cup Raisins
Oil to grease pan
1) In a kitchen aid mixer, beat two eggs with 1/2 cup white sugar.
2) Add 2 tablespoons molasses and 1 cup coffee creamer.
3) Mix in 3 cups all purpose flour and spices.
4) Finely chop 2 apples and a 1/2 cup of walnuts.
5) Add apples, walnuts, raisins.
6) Pour batter into a greased cake pan. It should be on the thicker side of cake batters.
7) Bake for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
8) Serve as is if you like mildly sweet desserts. If you want something super sweet, add a light glaze made with powder sugar, milk, and lemon juice.