I got set up with a stool in front of the mixer, so I was baking up a storm today. Nothing can keep me out a kitchen for too long. This recipe is for spice cupcakes. They are perfect for holidays or just for a fancy week. Personally, I was just craving something with molasses without doing the usual cookies. These cupcakes can be frosted, or served as is. I prefer them plan personally.
Note, the molasses needs to be dark and robust. Grandma’s is the best brand when it comes to molasses, I have a supply brought to me from out of state when I can’t find it. That’s how serious I am about my molasses. Anyway, here is my recipe for Spice Cupcakes.
RECIPE: Spice Cupcakes
Makes 12 Servings
Kitchen Aid Mixer
Oven heated to 350
1 Cup buttermilk (or 1 Cup milk and 1 Tablespoon buttermilk powder)
1/4 Cup Crisco
1 Cup sugar
1/4 Cup molasses
2 Cups flour
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
1 Teaspoon cloves
1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
1) In Kitchen aid mixer, mix together Crisco, sugar, and egg on low.
2) Add buttermilk, molasses, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Mix on low until thoroughly incorporated.
3) Add flour, baking soda, salt, and mix on medium until a batter is formed.
4) Put cupcake liners in the pan, and fill with a scoop and a half of batter per liner.
5) Bake for 20 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean.
6) Let cool in pan before transferring to cooling rack.
7) Serve with cinnamon cream cheese frosting or almond vanilla butter cream. Frosting not shown.