It’s memorial day, and there are many ways to honor the day. Among our activities for the day was baking a “patriotic” dessert. This recipe is a modified version of snicker doodles that have been nicknamed snicker doodle dandies. The best part of this cookie is that you can serve it in two different ways. The first is as regular drop cookies, the other is as a sliced biscotti.
RECIPE: Snicker Doodle Dandies
Makes 3-4 dozen Cookies
Mixer (useful but not needed)
Two Mixing Bowls
One Small Bowl
Oven heated to 375
1 Cup Margarine
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup White Sugar
1 T Vanilla
1 1/2 t Cream of Tartar
1 t Baking Soda
Pinch o’ Salt
3 1/2 Cups Flour
Red and Blue Food Coloring
2 T Sparkle Sugar
1 1/2 t Cinnamon
1) Beat together margarine, eggs, and sugar until fluffy.
2) Add in vanilla, and rest of dry ingredients (cream of tartar, salt, flour) until thoroughly mixed.
3) Split dough into two bowls. Add red food coloring to you and blue to the other. Stir and add more food coloring until the desired consistent color is reached.
4) Mix sparkle sugar and cinnamon in a smaller bowl.
To make Cookies,
5) Pinch a bit of each color dough into your hand and roll it into a ball.
6) Roll the ball in the cinnamon and sugar mix and place on the not greased baking sheet. 7) Bake for 10 Minutes until bottom slightly browns. Cool slightly before serving.
To Make Biscotti,
5) On wax paper, spread dough of both colors on top of each other. Wrap and freeze for 10-15 minutes.
6) Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on both sides of the dough.
7) Place on not greased baking sheet, and bake for 30-45 minutes or until done.
8) Cool on a rack. Once cooled, slice into biscotti!