I don’t have a yard, but I have a wonderful patio garden. Within my space limitations, I have managed to plant mixed greens, spinach, peppers, tomatoes, radishes, green beans, and herbs. Most of them seem to be doing well in their pots, despite Louis trying to eat all the dirt and pushing his way through them to bark at the neighbor dogs.
Today, I harvested a couple of my radishes. I love to eat them straight out of the garden with a touch of salt. It always seemed like a waste to me to toss out the radish greens, but they weren’t appealing enough to toss in a salad. Today, I said no to wasted veggies and made a radish green pesto. Once I had the pesto, I had no ideas what to do with it. The result was a Green Sloppy Joe made with the leftover ground meat from the burgers!
RECIPE: Green Sloppy Joes
Makes 2 Servings
Cast Iron Pan
Left over ground beef (raw)
1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese
3 Cloves Garlic
1/2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
1) Cut and wash the greens from the radishes. Peel and Chop 3 clothes of garlic.
2) Place greens, lemon juice, chopped garlic, Parmesan cheese, and oil into the blender.
3) Blend and adjust ingredient amounts until you get a nice smooth pesto.
4) In a heated cast iron pan, toss in ground beef and pesto. Stir until meat is thoroughly cooked and brown.
5) Serve on a bun or just on straight on the plate.
We ate the green sloppy joes with a side of leftover potato salad and sliced radishes. While completely different from standard sloppy joes, this recipe was nice and light. It was like spring in a sandwich.